Friday 12 February 2010

It's a learning curve

This time last year I decided I was going to learn how to knit and crochet and I have to admit that I am very proud of myself with my progress. I have crochetted scarves, mittens, hats, jumpers, cardigans and a full medieval peasant's costume(!) and knitted scarves, bags, socks, jumpers and cardigans. I have just completed my first cabling efforts and now I'm working on a hot water bottle cover for a friend which uses stranded colour work in the intarsia style. I'm using some rather funky pink and turquoise eyelash yarns which are confusing the issue a little but I am slowly getting there. Today's lesson was creating button holes using a mid-row cast on. I have used the backwards loop method and it is so far so good as far as that is concerned.

My other new learning curve is to do with our new allotment. We were allocated an allotment last month and went and bought a ton and a half of seeds yesterday so this morning while my little munchkin was at nursery, hubby and I went to start stripping the turf off the plot. Luckily he was a horticulturalist in one of his former career paths so he knows what he is doing but I'm learning from scratch. Today he showed me how to lift the turf without damaging too much of the top soil and how to roll the turf strips efficiently to allow them to dry and reclaim the soil that is attached to them. We were only there for about 2 hours and we managed about 4 rows of stripping so hopefully by this time next week we'll be ready to prep the soil and can start potting the seeds to start them off..... ooooh I can't wait!

No comments: